Scholarships for Rural Students – Scholarship is a great enabler. It plays a pivotal role in bridging the educational gap and empowering the student community. It is in this context that the available scholarship opportunities for students in rural India assume an added significance. In recent years, there has been a significant surge in such initiatives that are aimed at providing financial support and facilitating academic opportunities to students from the rural backgrounds across the country.
Scholarship Registration and Login
All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) released by the Ministry of Education reports that the total enrollment in higher education has increased to nearly 4.14 crore in 2020-21 from 3.85 crore in 2019-20. Since 2014-15, there has been an increase of around 72 Lakh in the overall enrolment (21%). Similarly, the enrolment of SC students is 58.95 Lakh as compared to 56.57 Lakh in 2019-20. The enrolment of ST students has increased to 24.1 Lakh in 2020-21 from 21.6 Lakh in 2019-20.
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2022, released by the NGO Pratham reveals that despite school closures during the pandemic, the overall enrolment figures, which have been above 95% for the past 15 years for the 6 to 14 years age group, increased from 97.2% in 2018 to 98.4% in 2022. Thus we witness a positive and a rising trend in the enrolment of students particularly in the rural hinterland.
Students hailing from rural areas face distinct challenges in their pursuit of higher education. It includes the following:
- Limited Financial Resources
- Limited Access to Quality Education
- Socioeconomic Factors
- Cultural Barriers
- Poor Foundational Skills
- Lack of Access to Advanced Learning Tools
- Limited Exposure to Career Opportunities etc.
In the light of these challenges, scholarships specifically designed for rural students have emerged as an important tool of empowerment in pursuit of their educational aspirations. These initiatives not only provide financial support but also motivate students to overcome obstacles and realize their full potential in pursuing their higher studies
List of Scholarships for Rural Students.
Scholarships for Rural Students – National Scholarships for Talented Children from Rural Areas
The All India Scholarship Entrance Examination (AISEE) has initiated the National Scholarships for Talented Children from Rural Areas. It is mainly targeted at the students from rural areas who are pursuing their studies in Class 6-8. Through this initiative, selected students will be granted financial assistance up to ₹100 to support their educational expenditures.
Category-wise Scholarship Distribution
|Categories of Children||Total Number of Scholarships|
|Children of Landless Labourers||10,000|
- The selected students will receive a scholarship amount from ₹30 to ₹100 per month.
- The scholarship will be paid through the institution.
- Applicants will receive the scholarship soon after having secured their admission to a school. They will continue to receive the scholarship until the last examination of their studies in the secondary stage.
- The scholarship is renewed on the basis of maintaining good academic progress.
- In the event that a scholar does not meet the satisfactory progress criteria, there is a possibility that the scholarship may be temporarily suspended.
Eligible students are required to appear in a two-stage examination:
1. First Stage: The examination is conducted by the State Government or UT administration.
2. Second Stage: The final examination is conducted at the national level by the NCERT.
- The local unit set up in the State Institute of Education prepares the test papers and organizes the examination throughout the States and Union Territories (UTs).
- The examination consists of two papers that test the innate abilities of students.
- Duration of the examination is 1 to 1.5 hours each.
3. Final Stage: The scholarship recipients are finally selected on the basis of the highest-achieving ranks.
Scholarships for Rural Students – Sashakt Scholarship
The Sashakt Scholarship program aims to provide financial aid to female students who are pursuing higher education in fields such as B.Tech, MBBS, and Natural/Pure Sciences in B.Sc.
This program is specially designed for students belonging to rural areas with a weak socio-economic background. In addition to financial assistance, the selected recipients will also receive invaluable mentorship support from lead woman scientists throughout the period of their undergraduation.
- The selected students will receive ₹2,40,000 (₹80,000 per year) for the duration of three years to cover college tuition fees, study-related expenses, and basic living costs.
- Scholarship recipients will receive guidance and mentorship throughout the period of their undergraduation, providing them with valuable career insights in the field of science.
- Prospective applicants should have a strong desire to secure admission to renowned science colleges and universities in India.
- This scholarship is open to students pursuing B.Tech, MBBS, and natural or pure sciences in the B.Sc. program.
Note:- The scholarship will be given only to students who have secured admissions to any of the colleges listed below.
|Class 10 Certificate||Mandatory|
|Class 10 Mark Sheet||Optional|
|Class 12 Mark Sheet||Mandatory|
|Class 12 Certificate||Optional|
|Income Certificate||Mandatory for Households with Income Less than ₹5 lakh|
|Disability Certificate||Mandatory for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) Candidates|
- Interested students can fill out the Google application form for the Sashakt Scholarship 2023-24.
- Students must complete the application form accurately and ensure that they gather all the required documents as specified by the scholarship program.
- As part of the application process, applicants are required to select the institution where they intend to pursue their higher education.
- Applicants are required to submit the admission offer from their chosen institution to the scholarship program.
- The confirmation email with regard to selection status and next course of action will be sent to the applicants after the completion of review and selection process.
Scholarships for Rural Students – Financial Assistance for Education of the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers (Scholarship)
The Financial Assistance for Education to the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers (Scholarship) is the initiative of the Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India. Under this scholarship scheme, selected students will receive financial assistance ranging from ₹1,000 to ₹25,000 per annum for pursuing their studies. It is as follows:
- Primary Level Education
- Secondary Level Education
- General Courses
- Technical Courses including:
- Agricultural studies.
1. Parental Employment: At least one of the parents of the applicants should be a worker with a minimum of six months of service in one of the following categories:
- Beedi Industry
- Workers in Iron Ore, Manganese & Chrome Ore Mines
- Workers in Limestone & Dolomite Mines
- Cine Workers
- Contract/Gharkhata (Home-based) Workers
2. Income Limit: Total monthly family income from all sources should not exceed the specified limits:
- Beedi Workers: ₹10,000
- Mine Workers: Manual, unskilled, highly skilled, and clerical workers have access to welfare schemes regardless of their wages.
- Supervisory and managerial employees are eligible for welfare schemes, subject to a wage limit of ₹10,000 per month.
- Cine workers: Remuneration should not exceed ₹8,000 per month if paid monthly or ₹1,00,000 if paid as a lump sum or installment.
3. Academic Qualifications: Applicants must have passed their last qualifying examination in their first attempt. Students who have been promoted to the next class are also eligible to apply.
4. Study Mode: Scholars pursuing studies through correspondence are not eligible.
5. Course and Institution: Candidates must have taken regular admission at a recognized institution in India. They must be pursuing courses in general or technical education at the pre-matric level.
6. No Double Scholarship: Students receiving scholarships or stipends from other sources are not eligible under this scheme.
7. Bank Account: Each scholar should have a separate bank account, and if it’s a joint account, the scholar’s name should be listed first.
8. Mobile Number: Students must provide a separate mobile number.
List of Documents Required
To apply for the scheme, applicants are required to provide the following documents:
- Photograph of the applicant
- Copy of the identity card of the worker (Form B Register Number in the Case of Mine Workers)
- Copy of front page of Bank Passbook or Cancelled Cheque with details of the account holder/beneficiary
- Passing Certificate/Marksheet of the previous academic year
- Income Certificate of the parent issued by the Revenue Authority
Quantum of Financial Assistance to be Paid to Eligible Students
Scholarships for Rural Students – V-Kid Scholarship Program
PARD INDIA (Pragathi Association for Rural Development) has launched the “V-Kid Scholarship Program (VKSP)” in order to enhance the educational prospects of underprivileged students residing in the rural areas. Under this program, students studying from Class 1 to Graduation level are entitled to receive ₹5,000 per month to support their academic expenses.
- Applicants must be Indian nationals residing in rural or suburban areas.
- Students who are enrolled in Class 1 to undergraduate levels in government educational institutions are eligible.
- Students falling under the following categories are eligible:
- Single-parent Households
- Street Children
- Child Laborers
- Economically Disadvantaged Children
- For students in Class 11 and beyond, a minimum of 60% marks in their last three successive years of qualifying examinations is required.
- Applicant’s annual family income should not exceed ₹36,000 per year.
- Selected students will receive a maximum scholarship amount of ₹5,000 per month.
- The final scholarship amount granted to each student will be determined by a nominated team from PARD INDIA after having evaluated the financial background of the students and considering the availability of funds.
- It is important to note that the scholarship is initially awarded for a one-year duration. However, applicants have the opportunity to reapply for the scholarship each year.
- Duly filled ‘Application Form for Annual V-kid Scholarship.’
- Recommendation letter from the parents or the respective orphanage/NGO/trust/school/college endorsing the student for the scholarship.
- Copies of academic mark sheets of the last three successive years of qualifying examinations. This is mandatory for students in Class 11 and beyond.
- Copy of the income certificate issued by local revenue authorities.
- Address proof and photographs of the student and their family members.
- Documentation confirming the necessity of scholarship assistance from the educational institution (fee slip).
Scholarship Selection Process
- PARD INDIA initiates the application process for the scholarship program from eligible students before August 1 of every academic year. Successful candidates are granted scholarship by the end of the month of September in every academic year.
- Scholarships for rural students may also be awarded at various times during the academic year to support the following contingencies upon the availability of funds.
- School Dropouts
- Child Labour Issues
- Unforeseen Emergencies
- All submitted applications will undergo thorough scrutiny, and shortlisted students will be invited for a mandatory in-person interview at the PARD India office.
- This interview serves as the primary basis for the selection process.
Scholarships for Rural Students – Mahindra All India Talent Scholarship (MAITS)
The Mahindra All India Talent Scholarship (MAITS), founded by K. C. Mahindra Education Trust, is dedicated to assisting students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. This scholarship is intended for students from rural and urban areas aspiring to enroll in job-oriented diploma programs offered by recognized government polytechnic colleges in India.
Under this program, the trust grants an annual scholarship of ₹10,000 to 550 deserving students each year, and this support extends for a maximum duration of three years.
- Applicants must have successfully cleared the Secondary School Certificate (SSC)/Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) or equivalent examinations at Class 10 or 12 with a minimum of 60% marks.
- Candidates should have secured admission to a government or an officially recognized polytechnic institute for a diploma course.
- Only first-year students are eligible to apply.
- Applicants should come from a family with a low annual income.
- Proof of admission (e.g., admission letter, fee receipt, bona fide student certificate, etc.)
- Testimonial (recommendation letter) from any one of the two referees (teacher or employer)
- Short statement on a student’s general aptitude and interest, the type of vocation they would like to pursue, their ambitions and aspirations in life.
- Copy of mark sheet of Class 10
- Copy of mark sheet of Class 12
- Family income certificate
- Copy of the first page of the passbook or cancelled cheque
- Aadhaar card copy
- Priority will be given to female students, children from lower-income families, differently-abled students, and children of armed forces personnel or Central Armed Police Forces.
- The application form must be completed online, and the required documents should be uploaded in the process of submitting the application.
To apply for the scholarship, please click here.