The National Scholarship Portal (NSP) serves as a centralized platform for managing various scholarship schemes offered by the Indian government. The Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS), also known as the NSP Scholarship, is one such initiative that provides financial assistance to meritorious students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. The NSP Scholarship 2024 is the upcoming edition of this prestigious scheme, aiming to support students pursuing higher education in various disciplines.
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS)- Details
The Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) is a flagship scholarship program launched by the Indian government under the Ministry of Minority Affairs. The scheme is specifically designed to provide educational support to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections (EWS) from minority communities. The PMSS offers scholarships for various levels of higher education, including undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral studies.
Who is Eligible for the PMSS?
The PMSS eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Applicants must be Indian citizens.
- Applicants must belong to one of the minority communities identified by the Government of India (GOI), namely, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Buddhist, Jain, and Parsi.
- Applicants must have secured at least 60% marks in their Class 12 board examinations.
- Applicants must be from economically weaker sections (EWS) with a family income of less than Rs. 6 lakh per annum.
What are the Benefits of the PMSS?
The PMSS offers a range of benefits to its awardees, including:
- Financial assistance for tuition fees, boarding and lodging, and other educational expenses.
- Monthly stipend for living expenses.
- Book allowance and research grant for postgraduate and doctoral students.
- Concessional rates on travel and hostel accommodation.
How to Apply for the PMSS?
The application process for the PMSS is typically conducted online through the NSP portal. The application form usually opens during January-February and closes in March-April 2024. Applicants are required to submit their online application form along with supporting documents, such as
- income certificate,
- caste certificate, and
- educational certificates.
Selection Process for the PMSS
The selection process for the PMSS is based on merit, and the following factors are considered:
- Marks obtained in Class 12 board examinations.
- Family income.
- Academic achievements and extracurricular activities during school and college.
- Preference is given to students from families with no graduate members.